BTEC Level 2 Intermediate Award in the Safe and Effective use of Restraint Equipment (Handcuffing)
Who’s it aimed at?
This one-day course is aimed at people who work with members of the public and may have to use handcuffs as part of their job.
Candidates who register for the BTEC Level 2 Intermediate Award in the Safe and Effective Use of Restraint Equipment (Handcuffing) must have the:
- Physical capability to undertake physical skills training
- Personal ability to undertake classroom training and sit written exam papers
This qualification provides delegates with a comprehensive understanding of the legal framework they must operate within, as well as effective practical skills for using handcuffs.
By the end of this BTEC training course delegates will:
- Have a nationally-recognised BTEC qualification
- Understand all of the legislation relating to the use of handcuffs
- Have a cross-sector qualification
- Be able to physically use handcuffs in a wide range of situations
To successfully achieve the award, delegates will be required to:
- Understand the primary reason for handcuffing
- Understand the health and safety implications, including Sections 2 and 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, the requirements of PUWER, as well as the implications of the new Health and Safety Offences Act 2008, and the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
- Understand the law, including compliance with: Section 3 (1) of the Criminal Law Act 1967, Common Law, Section 117 PACE and Articles 5, 3 and 2 of the Human Rights Act 1998
- Understand other areas of guidance if required, such as The Mental Health Act Code of Practice and NICE guidelines
- Understand the medical implications of handcuffing, including positional asphyxia
- Demonstrate how to apply handcuffs to a passive and aggressive subject
- Remove handcuffs correctly
Reviews from people who have attended our courses
“Very enjoyable session. Trainer encouraged discussion and participation and made it relevant to our work environment”
To find out more information about our course you can download the pdf below, you can contact us or speak to one of our friendly advisors on 0113 258 0035